event id:13552
Allen
2006-08-31 13:06:02 UTC
Our DC2 is having problems replicating to DC1. We have been receiving these
errors in event viewer:

13552-the FRS is unable to add this computer to the following replica set
"COMPOSEROOTINCL"

13555-the FRS is in an error state. Files will not replicate to or from one
or all of the replica sets on this computer

13560-The File Replication Service is deleting this computer from the
replica set "COMPOSEROOT|PROFILES" as an attempt to recover from the error
state,
Error status = FrsErrorSuccess

13561 (JRNL Wrap)

This has been very repitious. We have done an authoritive restore on the
global catalog server, as these errors have been appearing on DC1. The
infrastructure role is on DC2, and the remainder four roles are on DC1.
Problem was fixed temporarily, for a few days. Now it reappears. Any
suggestions please?
Adrian Grigorof
2006-08-31 14:45:58 UTC
Sometimes this could indicate lack hard disk space. See also:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=13552&eventno=571&source=NtFrs&phase=1

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=13555&eventno=572&source=NtFrs&phase=1

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=13561&eventno=2738&source=NtFrs&phase=1
--
Adrian Grigorof
www.eventid.net
suggestions please?
Allen
suggestions please?
Harj
2006-08-31 15:02:31 UTC
Hi,

All of those errors are regarding corruption of the FRS jet database
One is in regards to disk space,
One is telling you it is stopping before it gets really bad
One is telling you that it is now removing the machine from the replica
set
And the last one is telling you that it is journal wrap and will not
replicate inbound or outbound until it is fixed.

I would move all the roles over to DC2, and on DC1 make sure we have
ample disk space, and set the burrflags to D2 on DC1

This is called a non-authoritative restore unlike the Authoritative
restore you preformed.

If you start the FRS with the Burflags registry value set to D2, the
FRS performs a full synchronization of files and folders from a direct
or transitive replication partner that is hosting the authoritative
copy of files and folders in the replica set (which in your case is
DC2)

Steps to take,

1. Stop the File Replication service on the domain controller. DC1
2. Start Registry Editor
3. Locate and then click the BurFlags value under the following key in
the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process
at Startup
4. On the Edit menu, click DWORD, click Hex, type D2, and then click
OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.
6. Restart the File Replication Service

Now the question that comes up is why this happens over and over again.
Maybe before setting the burflags on DC1, I would do a scan on the
machine, verify that there is nothing wrong with the drive and again,
make sure we have ample disk space.

How to rebuild the SYSVOL tree and its content in a domain
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315457/

13552 tends to be an issue with disk space
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=889655

Event ID 13552 and 13559
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819268/

Good luck

Harj Singh
Power Your Active Directory Investment
www.specopssoft.com
suggestions please?
Allen
2006-08-31 16:00:02 UTC
Thanks for the information. Im still at a loss on this though as we have
39.9GB of space left on the drive. Could it be needing more space than that?
I know I have 4.8GB of space on the D drive.

I will transfer the Roles over to DC2 and retry the restore. I did both of
them before. The first time I did D2 in the DWORD and the second time I did
D4 since it came back. But I will give it a go around again.

Any thoughts on this?? Thanks.
suggestions please?
Harj
2006-08-31 20:07:11 UTC
Hi,

Please let me know how it turns out. Journal wrap has always been
resolved by a D2 for me.
Do you have an antivirus that is scanning your sysvol?
If so, I would recommend to remove this folder within the folders being
scanned.
From what you mention, you have plenty of space on your disk drive.

suggestions please?
Harj

suggestions please?
Allen
2006-08-31 23:23:01 UTC
No problem, as soon as I can take the server down I will do this and let you
know how it turns out. In the past, Journal wrap was fixed by D2 for us as
well. But for some reason it keeps coming back shortly after it has been
restored.

We dont have Anti-Virus scanning that directory. We have it listed in the
exceptions so it doesnt scan it.

Well, I will let you know how this turns out. Talk to you soon.

Allen
Post by Harj
Hi,
Please let me know how it turns out. Journal wrap has always been
resolved by a D2 for me.
Do you have an antivirus that is scanning your sysvol?
If so, I would recommend to remove this folder within the folders being
scanned.
From what you mention, you have plenty of space on your disk drive.
suggestions please?
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-09-05 09:54:59 UTC
Hello Allen,

How are you?

We have not heard from you regarding this issue. Please post back here at
your convenience if we can assist further.

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support
Allen
2006-09-05 10:42:02 UTC
Well, last night I transfered the 5 roles over to DC2. I also did a D2 on
DC1. Now the good news is that it rebuilt the SYSVOL with some help of
creating two directories. What I am concerned about right now is that DC2 is
not updating the profiles. I am starting to see events of 13508 on DC2
showing replication issues. It is failing to replicate from DC1 to DC2.

Would re-building the connectors be advised? Or would doing a Directory
Service restore on DC2 be recommended?

I am still trying to figure out why replication isnt completely working. I
am starting to think it has to do with RPC connections which is why I want to
rebuild the connection. But I would have to do this on a weekend at night.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Harj
2006-09-05 17:23:52 UTC
Hi,

Not sure what you mean by re-building the connectors but I would highly
recommend to let the KCC do it on its own and not for you to create
manual connection objects.

I would point both these DC's to the PDC emulator for primary DNS.
I would then run the following commands on both DC's
ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns & net stop netlogon & net
start netlogon.
Go to Sites/Services and delete the connection objects from both
machines.
Then stop and start the NTFRS service.
Trigger the KCC by right clicking the NTDS Settings under the Domain
controllers in Sites/Services, all tasks and click Check Replication
Topology.
Wait for the connection objects to be recreated and then look for any
errors in the event logs.

Allen
2006-09-06 11:19:02 UTC
That was what I was refering to. I will give that a shot. Have you ever had
this interfere with users in a very noticable way? If not I will give this a
shot today. If it does interfere I will have to wait until Friday night to do
it. I havent done this part before so I want to make sure.
Harj
2006-09-06 15:08:29 UTC
Hi,

It will not interfere with the end users as we are working on fixing
replication.
As long as the DC's and GC's are reachable, users will be ok.

Just make sure that the users are still pointed to a valid DNS server
is all I can think of.

Allen
2006-09-07 05:25:01 UTC
Well,

This was real fun. Yeah, I am being very sarcastic. Our update account
decided to log in on reboot going into Safe Mode w/ DS Restore Mode. It then
performed a DCPROMO and then applied EXCH2K SP3 for some reason. Afterwards,
the AD stopped on both servers and DC2 couldnt see DC1. Then DC1 couldnt see
the GC Server. Yeah!!. So I spent all day rebuilding my servers from scratch
because Backup Exec failed to start in Safe mode. Turns out that a pvl.mdb
file is required and wasnt there at all. It wasnt on any other server we had
nor on the disc that Veritas/Symantec claims it to be on. So restoring
SYSTATE was not going to happen via tape. So that left me manually rebuilding
the servers. Right now I am back at where I was before Journal_Wrap occured
again and the ADS stopped. Right now FRS runs for about 5-15 minutes then
stops. Event ID 13508 occurs and of course the lovely error for the service
stopping. This time though, DC2 cant replicate to DC1. If it wasnt for the
fun of what happened earlier, I would try that KCC idea again. But I been up
since 3am yesterday and it is now 1:22am. I am thinking of sleep. Anyway, I
could use some serious help here. I have been given full reign of my system
now. So any ideas are welcome. Thanks.
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-09-12 07:42:49 UTC
Hello Allen,

After reviewing the post log, I would appreciate it if you could help in
gathering the following information first:

Based on my experience, the issue could be related to several factors. To
troubleshoot the issue, we usually need to spend quite some time to perform
steps to find the problem causer due to complexity on technical side. I
appreciate your understanding and cooperation during the troubleshooting
process.

1. Run FRSDiag.exe on the DC1 and DC2.

File Replication Service Diagnostics Tool (FRSDiag.exe)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=43CB658E-8553-4DE7-
811A-562563EB5EBF&displaylang=en

2. Export the following registry key from the DC1 and DC2. NOTE: Before
sending the exported registry files to us, please change the file extension
from .reg to .txt.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs

3. Generate a Directory Services Edition (Mpsrpt_dirsvc.exe) of MPS report
on DC1 and DC2. For detailed instructions, please refer to the following MS
KB article:

818742.KB.EN-US Overview of the Microsoft Configuration Capture Utility
(MPS_REPORTS)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;818742

My e-mail address is: < v-***@Microsoft.com >.

Hope this helps.

Allen
2006-09-12 11:28:01 UTC
Ada Pan,

Thanks for helping me out here. I thought of the FRSDiag but I ran into a
bind on it. Since it requires .Net Framework 1.1 I cant use it. We dont have
that installed and we cant install it because of our security requirements.
They wont bend on this even though it will really help me fix it. I am going
to run the MPS report tool and I will get that to you as soon as possible. Do
you know of any tools that run similar to FRSDiag that doesnt use .Net
Framework? I dont know of any but I will do some looking around. Thanks again.
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-09-13 08:58:31 UTC
Hello Allen,

To provide more accurate suggestions for you, please first send us the
reports so we can check the reports to see if other info is needed. Please
take your time to collect the reports and send me at your earliest
convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Allen
2006-09-13 15:38:02 UTC
Hi Ada Pan,

I sent you an email so you should get a report on DC2. I will send DC1 as
soon as I can. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Allen
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-09-18 08:56:49 UTC
Hello Allen,

I have received your emails.

I will do further research on this issue and update you as quickly as we
could.

Allen

Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-09-21 01:38:29 UTC
Hello Allen,

Thanks for replying back with the reports. :)

After checking reports, it appears that FRS still can replicate data from
DC1 to DC2; however, the file replication from DC2 to DC1 is failed.

On the DC2, both event 13508 and 13509 were logged. This indicates that the
problem was resolved. Because the FRS service kept being restarted on the
DC1, files on the DC1 could not replicate to DC2 even if the FRS service on
DC2 was working properly.

Let us try the following approach on the DC1:

Step 1: Reset the FRS Jet DB on the DC1.
=================================
1. Stop NetLogon and FRS on the domain controller.

2. Delete the Ntfrs.jdb file in the <Windir>\Ntfrs\Jet folder. HINT: You
may copy the file to a temporary folder on another drive first.

3. Delete the Edb.chk file in the <Windir>\Ntfrs\Jet\Sys folder. HINT: You
may copy the file to a temporary folder on another drive first.

4. Delete the Edb.log file, the Res1.log file, and the Res2.log file in the
<Windir>\Ntfrs\Jet\Log folder. HINT: You may copy the files to a temporary
folder on another drive first.

5. Restart the NetLogon and FRS services on the domain controller.

Step 2: Conduct a D2 on DC1.
=================================
1. On the DC1, click "Start", and then click "Run".

2. In the "Open" box, type "cmd" (without the quotation marks) and then
press ENTER.

3. In the "Command" box, type "net stop ntfrs" (without the quotation
marks).

4. Click "Start", and then click "Run".

5. In the "Open" box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and then
press ENTER.

6. Locate the following subkey in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup
/Restore\Process at Startup

7. In the right pane, double-click "BurFlags".

8. In the "Edit DWORD Value" dialog box, type "D2" (without the quotation
marks) and then click "OK".

9. Quit Registry Editor, and then switch to the "Command" box.

10. In the "Command" box, type "net start ntfrs" (without the quotation
marks).

11. Quit the "Command" box.

Related MS KB Articles:
=======
290762 Using the BurFlags registry key to reinitialize File Replication
Service
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290762

315457 How to rebuild the SYSVOL tree and its content in a domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315457

292438 Troubleshooting journal_wrap errors on Sysvol and DFS replica sets
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=292438

Allen
2006-09-22 10:33:01 UTC
Hi Ada,

Thank you for helping me out with this. I am going to take care of this
tonight so I don’t interrupt service. For the files attached that you sent,
they didn’t make it through. My filter took them off. Could you out them in a
Zip file and email them to me again? I will let you know how this all turns
out.

Do you know of any good reading on the Jet Database? I want to learn more
about that so I know how it works.

Best Regards,
Allen
Vincent Xu [MSFT]
2006-09-26 06:28:07 UTC
Hi Allen,

Thanks for posting.

This is Vincent who is Ada's backup.

I have no idea Ada sent which files to you so I will ask she send you again
when she is back. Thanks for your understanding.

Regarding your requirment about Jet database article, please see following:

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/70/proddocs/msjet/jetintro
.mspx?mfr=true>

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Jet_Database_Engine>

Hope this help. Have a good day!

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

--------------------
Subject: Re: event id:13552
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-09-27 03:16:49 UTC
Hello Allen,

I didn't send any attachments in my previous reply. So no worry about
missing any information I sent to you.

I am glad to know that you are going to apply the steps I provided. Hope to
hear from you with good news soon.

More information:
=========
For more information regarding the Jet DB used by FRS, you may refer to the
following MS article:

How FRS Works
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/distrib/
dsdh_frs_bnyr.mspx?mfr=true

HINT: The section "FRS Database Tables" has the detailed explanation for
the Jet DB.

Allen
2006-09-28 13:05:02 UTC
Hi Ada,

Here is some more details on what the event id's are. They are the only
issues I have right now. I am noticing also that the Profiles are not
replicating to DC2. I am not sure if that is part of the problem or a result.

9/27/06 Event ID 13508 -

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from DC2
to DC1 for e:\profiles using the DNS name dc2.domainname.com. FRS will keep
retrying.

Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name dc2.domainname.com from this
computer.

[2] FRS is not running on dc2.domainname.com.

[3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem
is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the
connection has been established.

9/27/06 Event ID 13567 -

File Replication Service has detected and suppressed an average of 15 or
more file updates every hour for the last 3 hours because the updates did not
change the contents of the file. The tracking records in FRS debug logs will
have the filename and event time for the suppressed updates. The tracking
records have the date and time followed by :T: as their prefix.

Updates that do not change the content of the file are suppressed to prevent
unnecessary replication traffic. Following are common examples of updates
that do not change the contents of the file.

[1] Overwriting a file with a copy of the same file.

[2] Setting the same ACLs on a file multiple times.

[3] Restoring an identical copy of the file over an existing one.

Suppression of updates can be disabled by running regedit.

Click on Start, Run and type regedit.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, NtFrs,
Parameters, and create or update the value "Suppress Identical Updates To
Files" to 0 (Default is 1) to force identical updates to replicate.

9/25/06 Event ID 13509 -

The File Replication Service has enabled replication from DC2 to DC1 for
e:\sysvol\domain after repeated retries.

9/25/06 Event ID 13509 -

The File Replication Service has enabled replication from DC2 to DC1 for
e:\users\incl after repeated retries.

9/25/06 Event ID 13509 -

The File Replication Service has enabled replication from DC2 to DC1 for
e:\users\logs after repeated retries.
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-09-29 10:42:28 UTC
Hello Allen,

If you only get "warnings", 13508, 13509, and 13516 on both DCs, it appears
that the replication problem is gone. Let us monitor for several days to
see if everything is working properly. If this problem occurs again, please
let me know.

Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-10-02 06:44:01 UTC
Hello Allen,

As only the DFS share for profiles did not work, I think that we may
recreate the DFS link for the share to see if the folder can be replicated
successfully? I will be here standing by for your update.

Allen
2006-10-02 10:26:01 UTC
Hi Ada,

Well so far none of the profiles have replicated from DC1 to DC2. The
"warnings" I am getting on DC1 are in direct correlation to the profiles
(i.e. 13508). The other warnings on DC1 have stopped. On DC2 however, the
13509's are in relation to replication on the e:\sysvol\domain, e:\user\incl,
and e:\user\logs. I am thinking these are in relation to each other. Would I
be correct by thinking that?

Best Regards,
Allen
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-10-04 01:56:52 UTC
Hello Allen,

The event 13508 on the DC1 may not be relevant to the event 13509 on the
DC2 in this case. This is the reason that I suggest recreating the DFS link
for the profile folder individually.

Allen
2006-10-04 17:10:02 UTC
Hi Ada,

Yeah i was going to re-create the DFS link anyways for the Profiles. I just
wasnt sure if that was a seperate issue or the same. So I figured I would
ask. I will let you know how it turns out. I will give you an update Thursday
before I leave for the day.

Best Regards,
Allen
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-10-10 04:56:48 UTC
Hello Allen,

Because you received an error message when checking status of the DFS Root,
I would like to recommend that we rebuild the DFS root as well as all the
DFS links as follows, if possible.

NOTE: Please backup your DCs first.

HINT: You only need to apply the following steps on one DC.

1. Open ADSIEDIT.MSC

2. Navigate to the following DN:

Domain\DC=YourDomain\OU=Domain Controllers\DC=YourDC (Which you would like
to remove from the DFS Replica Set)\CN=NTFRS Subscriptions.

3. On the right pane, delete the CN=''DFS Volumes'' object. Please perform
this step for each DC you need to remove.

4. Navigate to the following DN:

Domain\DC=YourDomain\CN=System\CN=File Replication Service\CN=DFS
Volumes\CN=<DFS root>OU=Domain Controllers\DC= <Your DFS root>\CN=<Your DFS
root>|DFS

5. Right-click on each object and click Properties. Check the value of
frsComputerReference to identify each DFS replica's name. You will then get
a list of DFS replicas in a set as well as their GUID.

6. Under each CN={GUID} object, remove the replication links you would like
to delete by referring the list you just got.

7. Finally, remove the CN={GUID} object which is the DFS replica you would
like to move.

Once the removal of this information is finished, you will need to force a
replication between your domain controllers and then open DFS snap-in to
recreate all the DFS root and links. Configure Replication for DFS links
between the DCs. Monitor event log to see if no FRS events are logged again.

Allen
2006-10-10 19:48:01 UTC
Hi Ada,

Ok, I will give that a shot tonight. I found out that apparently they took
some power hits on the 7th. The good thing is for the first time in a long
time DC2 rebuilt itself and has no errors on it now. :-) Matter of fact, even
the profiles replicated properly. However, where DC2 was not updating before,
now it is DC1 that isnt updating. So I am thinking we are on the right track.
Something tells me once we rebuild the DFS root and links, we will be good to
go. I will let you know how his pans out. I am confident that it will have
good results.

Best Regards,
Allen
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-10-11 12:03:55 UTC
Hello Allen,

I am glad to hear that you will apply my suggestion to rebuild the DFS root
and links. Hope to hear from you with good news.

Allen
2006-10-13 11:47:02 UTC
Hi Ada,

Great news, I am up 100%. Your a life saver. I found out too while doing the
dfs, that I was missing the directories for incl and logs on DC2. Which I
dont remember seeing for at least the last 10 months. But I made the
directories, followed the rest of the steps from the procedure you gave me
and then we were good to go.

I appreciate your assistance and perseverance with assisting me. I
definitely learned a lot and refreshed a bunch of forgotten knowledge.

Best Regards,
Allen
Ada Pan [MSFT]
2006-10-13 13:22:44 UTC
Hello Allen,

I am so glad to hear the suggestion I provided helps. I appreciate your
putting your time and efforts in this troubleshooting process. It's been a
pleasant experience working with you. If you need further assistance on
this issue or encounter any new break/fix issue, please feel free to post
your questions in the newsgroups. I am glad to be of assistance.